Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood Education at EMCC offers TWO TRACKS:
Associate of Arts (AA) degree:
- Students that are interested in transferring to a four-year university to obtain their bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, preschool through 3rd grade.
- The AA degree conveniently transfers as a block to any of Arizona’s state universities as well as private institutions to pursue advance degrees.
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree:
- Students that are interested in obtaining a 2-year degree, preparing them for the national Child Development Associate (CDA) test.
- This degree specifically trains and prepare individuals to work within the field of Early Childhood Education, focusing on programs serving children, birth through age 8.
- Employers include day care centers (private, church-sponsored, employer-sponsored), families needing support (ie., nanny) and nursury schools.
For further information or clarification on which program track is best for you, contact Rachel Holmes, Director of Teacher Education and Early Childhood programs, by email or at 623-935-8407.
Why Early Childhood Education @ EMCC?
As with elementary and secondary certificate seekers, EMCC offers several courses that lay the foundation for the pursuit of this certification. These courses offer field placements that provide students with hands-on experience in early childhood education.
This program is part of the Teacher Education Institute at EMCC, which helps students succeed by offering educational networks and professional opportunities within their selected field(s) of study.
Currently, the state of Arizona is experiencing a critical shortage of degree-qualified and certified Early Childhood Education teachers. Students who have successfully completed the degree requirements to become a certified teacher can look forward to robust opportunities in the job market.
Maricopa Degree Options
|At EMCC, get a degree in...||And transfer to a university to get a degree in...|
|Associate in Arts, Elementary Education (AAEE)||Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education|
Maricopa-ASU Pathway Program
This program has an MAPP (Maricopa-ASU Pathway Program) option. For more information about the MAPP program and to find additional information, see the MAPP page.