Small Business Management
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Small Business Management is designed to meet the needs of individuals who wish to own and/or manage a small business. It is a flexible program composed of one and two-credit courses, which can be offered on convenient, non-traditional schedules (for those working and need class times other than day, morning classes) and can be completed rapidly. These flexibilities increase the opportunity for more members of the small business community to take advantage of these courses, without interrupting their lives.
The Small Business Series (SBS) curriculum is a combination of six business courses designed to be the foundation of the learning experience. It is designed to assist students and business entrepreneurs develop a personal, comprehensive small business plan. The development of this business plan will serve as a blueprint of business operations to increase operational efficiency and grow the business. A professional business plan is usually required to secure funding from banks and other loaning entities.
Why Small Business Management @ EMCC?
- Unique student body
- Consists mostly of young entrepreneurs 25-45 years old
- Currently own and operate a small business
- Previously owned a business which failed
- Intends to start-up a small business operation
- Few students are enrolled primarily for the course credits.
- Teaching staff has diverse business backgrounds and experiences which enhances the overall course.
- Class Scheduling of the hybrid class enables students to enroll who might not be able to otherwise.
- Conduct two face-to-face (F2F) workshops providing one- on-one assistance with each student and their business plan.
- Provides students with a comprehensive business plan which will enable to student to improve business efficiency or secure additional funding to grow the business.
- Provides students wishing to secure loans or receive business consultation an opportunity to receive consultation from the Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
- Career potential/possibilities
- Provides students with an opportunity to gain a better understanding of the general operation of a small business.
- Provides students with the knowledge to start a small business, generate positive profit margins, and potentially develop the ability to sustain a successful small business operation.
- Career pathways to advance degree
- Upon completion of the course, students can receive 9 credit hours.
- Credits are transferrable to all schools within the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD), and most other colleges and universities.
- Overall educational experience
- Tremendous business opportunity to network with other entrepreneurs.
- Networking opportunities provide students with other business ideas.
- Understanding the operational, marketing, and financial components of the business plan enables students to enter any business arrangement with a understanding business and operations management.