Financial Aid Process
One of the most common questions the financial aid office receives is "What is the financial aid process at Estrella Mountain Community College?" The financial aid process is listed below:
- In order to apply for federal aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- A new FAFSA must be submitted for every new academic year. The new year for Estrella Mountain Community College begins in every Fall semester. Every student should complete the FAFSA form as soon as possible after January 2nd of the calendar year they plan to attend college.
- Be sure to use the federal school code 031563 for both Estrella Mountain Community College and the SouthWest Skill Center.
- Generally within 5-7 days after you have submitted your FAFSA with all required signatures, it is sent to the school. Whenever forms are submitted to the Financial Aid office, please understand additional processing time is required. Depending on the time of year and number of financial aid applicants, the processing time may be anywhere from three business days to three months. Students should always plan ahead and submit paperwork as early as possible. This applies to all types of forms, Federal Financial Aid forms, scholarship forms, public assistance forms, etc.
- If the financial aid office requires additional information from you, it will be listed on your "To Do" list or in the "Message Center". It is the student's responsibility to check their financial aid status on the my.maricopa.edu online system regularly.
- If selected for verification, regular tax returns will not be accepted. Instead it is required that you submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript along with the verification documents. To obtain the IRS Tax Return Transcript, you can contact the IRS by phone at 1-800-908-9946 or through the IRS website at www.irs.gov.
- You can check the status of your financial aid on my.maricopa.edu. Simply click on "View Financial Aid" link, then the year link. If you have been awarded, your award will be posted. If you have not been awarded yet, there will be no data available.
- Applying for and receiving financial aid can be a lengthy process, so please plan accordingly.
- Be sure to check the Important Dates - FA Disbursements, Book Charge, Tuition etc.. page
- Be sure to selct your refund option through the Maricopa Student Refund Program (MSRP) page