The New Post 9/11 G.I. Bill Information
The Post-9/11 GI Bill (also known as chapter 33 benefits) began on August 1, 2009. Eligibility may be established using active duty service performed on or after 9-11-01. You may apply online by visiting www.va.gov or you may apply in the Office of Veteran Affairs on campus. For more information please visit:
Please be advised that those students who have elected to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) the Veteran Affairs office on campus will require a copy of the application VA form 1990 and/or the certificate of eligibility. This will be necessary in order to process your future awards. It is suggested that those documents be turned in when you are submitting your VA certification request.
All Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients registering for classes MUST complete a VA deferment (promissory note) at our office every semester. This is important so that your classes will not be dropped on the fee payment due dates.
If you are called to active duty you will need to contact this Office as well as the Business Office of your status. A copy of your military orders will be necessary to process your withdrawal properly.
Responsibilities of Veteran Students:
The Department of Veteran Affairs and the Veterans Service office at Estrella Mountain Community College closely monitor each veteran student's enrollment status and academic program. Your monthly entitlement is based upon the number of credit hours for which a student is enrolled. To be eligible for your benefits you must:
- A program of study leading to a degree or certificate.
- Register only for courses which are required for completion of your selected degree program.
- Complete and submit a certification request form each semester to the Veterans Services Office on campus, or you may fax form to our office.
- Notify the Veterans Services office of changes in your schedule, change of program and change of address.
- You must maintain satisfactory progress. This means it is expected that you complete at least 50% of your course work with a 2.0 GPA each semester. Failure to meet these standards may cancel your VA benefits.
- Be sure to make your tuition payment to the business office on our campus before the purge date. These dates are found in your my.maricopa.edu account. Or inquire about a V.A. deferment at our office.