Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS)
Estrella Mountain Community College is a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). We believe that in order to manage our sustainability progress on campus, we must align our initiatives with the goals of other colleges and universities across the nation. We chose to utilize AASHE's Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS) as a framework for developing, implementing, and tracking the progress of sustainability on our campus and became a Charter Participant in December 2009.
STARS is a voluntary, self-reporting framework for gauging relative progress toward sustainability for colleges and universities. STARS is designed to:
- Provide a guide for advancing sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions by establishing a common standard of measurement for sustainability in higher education.
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability.
- Facilitate information sharing about higher education sustainability practices and performance.
- Build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community.
The EMCC Sustainability Team has been tasked with developing a Campus Sustainability Plan that encompasses environmental, economic, and social responsibilities. The STARS tool will be used as the framework for developing this Plan.