The Estrella Hall expansion, which completes Phase III of the college's masterplan, began construction in February 2012 and the completed project was formally introduced to the community and students September 5, 2013, during the Grand Opening ceremony.
By retrofitting the existing space and adding physical buildings, the project expanded student learning opportunities. Estrella Hall provides a centralized area for students to access learning resources with the:
- creation of innovative learning spaces and co-location of resources, including designated offices for faculty dedicated to developmental education.
- addition of classrooms (state-of-the-art learning studios), faculty offices, quiet rooms and areas for laptop uplinks to support multiple learning styles.
- expanded library, which has 35% more shelf space for books and a new information literacy instruction classroom, enabling instructors to bring entire classes to the library for targeted assistance with course assignments.
- centralized, one-location tutoring center offering free tutoring and academic learning resources, including math, science, writing, reading/languages and occupational tutoring.
- computer / information commons, with access to online, college resources and web connectivity.
The various learning spaces are designed to reinforce student engagement and promote student success.
Adjacent to Estrella Hall is the college's new Conference Center, a free standing building capable of hosting community and campus events. The interior meeting space is:
- usable as a divisible or single room.
- capable of accommodating theatre-style or banquet seating events.
- practical for pre-event preparation, including a staging kitchen for catering with an ice-machine, refrigerator and microwave.
- functional for registration and reception activities in the large lobby, with restroom facilities.
The lobby also features the Estrella Mountain Donor Wall, which recognizes community members who have contributed to the mission and goals of the college. The large, multi-use spaces maximize student engagement and provide areas to support community and classroom events.
Facts at a Glance
New Estrella Hall Space: 43,566 sq ft
Estrella Hall Remodeled Space: 35,000 sq ft
New Conference Center Space: 7,690 sq ft
New Learning Spaces: 12
Remodeled Learning Spaces: 6
New Faculty and Staff Offices: 16
Remodeled Offices: 2
Estrella Conference Center Seating Capacity:
- Auditorium style seating = 360
- Conference / Banquet Style Seating = 240