As a learning college, EMCC revises and reassesses our processes. Currently, ELearning is piloting a faculty-driven process improvement.
For the Spring 2016 semester and the 16-17 Academic Year, the following development approval process will be used:
- Faculty members who want to develop a course should submit their requests to their division chair. (Note: Faculty should have taught an online course prior to developing an online course. If individuals have not taught an online course previously, contact the ELearning Coordinator and ELearning Committee.)
- Division chairs discuss with their Dean the courses proposed for development. The Dean offers insight and confirms which courses should be supported for development.
- The ELearning Coordinator issues a call for development. Division Chairs submit the list of approved courses for their division by ranked priority to the ELearning Coordinator (by October 31 or April 1).
- The ELearning Coordinator submits the compiled list to the ELearning Committee. From the entire list of approved courses, the ELearning Committee members decide which courses will be developed.
- Courses/Faculty Developers who are selected to develop are notified by the ELearning Coordinator. Division Chairs and Deans are notified of the final selections by the ELearning Coordinator.
For the Spring 2016 semester and the 16-17 Academic Year, faculty course developers will participate in the course development process:
- After notified by the ELearning Coordinator, the faculty developer will complete the 2 Canvas courses by August 29, 2016: "New Course Development" and "Teach Online with Canvas".
- Attend Developer Orientation. (Tuesday, August 30, 2016)
- Attend the 3 required Peer Sessions: Instructional Design Map, ADA & Compliance, and Assessment, QM Reflection & CATS.
- As needed, attend additional peer reviewer and subject matter expert (SME) work sessions.
- As needed, utilize 1:1 sessions with the ELearning Faculty Coordinator who will provide additional assistance and project management.
For the Fall 2016 semester, all courses are expected to be completed and ready for review by November 15, 2016. Peer review, SME, and QM reflection activities will be completed between November 15 to December 15, 2016.
The full load of an e-Learning development contract is applied during the semester approved for development.
- Initial 50% contract payout is submitted by the ELearning Coordinator once 50% of the course modules are confirmed to be completed.
- The final 50% of the contract will be initiated upon course completion (all reviews finalized and course revisions completed.)
- All course development must be completed within the approved fiscal year. Contracts may not cross fiscal years (July 1-June, 30).