The Honors Program at the Maricopa Community Colleges provides intellectually and stimulating learning opportunities to students for their outstanding academic achievements.
Honors Program Goals
- To encourage, foster, and contribute to a climate of excellence both in the colleges and in the surrounding community
- To encourage students to strive to achieve the maximum benefit from the educational services provided by Maricopa Community Colleges
- To recognize and reward the talent and motivation of outstanding community college students and faculty
- To promote a sense of scholarship and community among program participants and with the colleges
- To serve as a source of innovation and testing for new methodologies and services that may be extended to a greater number of students
- To raise awareness of the high quality and variety of educational services offered by Maricopa Community Colleges
Why join the Honors Program at EMCC?
The features of the Maricopa Community Colleges Honors Program includes College Honors Offices, Honors courses, Honors scholarships, the Honors Forum Lecture Series, symphony performances, and district-wide co-curricular activities and connections with Phi Theta Kappa. Honors coursework is designed to challenge students and help them develop intellectually, socially, and personally. Most courses help students meet graduation goals. Additionally, there are research, leadership and Service Learning opportunities, access to accomplished faculty and close student-faculty mentoring, and academic/cultural enrichment activities.
Honors Program Learning Outcomes
The Honors Program at the Maricopa Community Colleges is committed to helping students achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Think critically
- Communicate effectively
- Appropriately express ideas to diverse audiences in spoken and written contexts
- Employ scholarly standards of conduct, demonstrating respect for intellectual property, and accepting responsibility for active civic engagement
- Being an independent life-long learner and achieving educational and career goals
- Demonstrate integrity
- Prepare for future success
Kinds of Honors Scholars
Honors Program at EMCC offers three ways for students to becoming Honors scholars: Presidents' Honors Scholarship or Honors Achievement Award.
- Presidents' Honors Scholarship--is awarded to incoming first-year college students who meet the criterion
- Honors Achievement Award--is awarded to current college students who have already completed at least twelve (12) college credits (100 level or higher, letter grade) and are maintaining a accumulative GPA of 3.25
- Clarion Award Scholar--is awarded to current college students who have earned 6, 7 or 8 English placement score and/or DACA students