Schedule Building Summary
At Estrella Mountain Community College, the process of building class schedules for student enrollment is shared between the Divisions and Instructional Services. Divisions have approximately two-three months (shorter for summer terms) to make all necessary changes in schedules for future terms. After the initial editing is completed by the Divisions, any additional changes to the schedule are done by Instructional Services to ensure accuracy
Divisions should download their division schedules using one of these reporting options. Please note, changes will not reflect on reports until the next day.
- BOEXI: EMC_CR012_Schedule Development, or EMC_CR015 ClassListEnrollment
- SSRS: EMC_CR_0002 Class and Instructor Load
Schedule Building Process
EMC class schedules are rolled from one year to the next. For example, the spring classes from one year will roll to the spring classes for the next (e.g. spring 2019 to spring 2020).
- Only 'ACTIVE' classes as of the date of the rollover (usually the end of the first month of classes for the current term) – cancelled, tentative, and stop enrollment classes do not roll from year to year.
- Special cohorts (i.e. AAEC), Dual Enrollment, and Independent Study courses also do not roll from year to year.
- All of the class details with the exception of instructor workloads and class numbers, are retained from year to year.
- Instructional Services can only accept schedule changes by the Division Chair, Admin Support, or Program Directors for Occupational Education. All other faculty changes must be submitted to Instructional Services via these contacts.
Division Editing Period
Divisions have approximately two-three months to make all necessary changes in schedules for the future term. After this initial editing period is completed by the Divisions, any additional changes to the schedule are done by Instructional Services to ensure accuracy.
During this initial editing period, divisions must ensure quality of their schedules following the below guidelines:
- All classes must be scheduled according to the EMC Class Scheduling Guidelines
- All classes during the Division editing period should only be scheduled within the assigned Division priority rooms - See Classroom Setups and Equipment
- All classes must be assigned a room allocation. No classes should be left in TBA status (without a room). Classes left in TBA after Division editing, will be deleted and will need to be rebuilt when rooms are open to all divisions.
- Verify class start dates match the days of the class (i.e. check that no class starts on a holiday)
- All online classes start on a Monday (or Tuesday if Monday is a holiday)
- Verify correct fees are entered for all courses with approved fees - See Course Fees and Caps
- Verify all classes are scheduled for the required amount of time - See Required Times Chart
- Verify all classes use the standard scheduling times - See Standard Scheduling Time Blocks
- Divisions should verify any concurrent enrollment or sequenced class notes to ensure the updated class numbers are correct
- Avoid using notes such as: Hybrid Class, Online Class, Class Meets for 8 weeks, and Class Meets for 5 Weeks, etc. These will be removed to avoid duplication in the online class schedule.
- All classes that are part of a Learning Community should be scheduled in conjunction with the Division sharing the courses to ensure that the times of the classes and room allocations match. Divisions should pull a list of all Learning Communities that have rolled, and communicate with other Divisions before editing these types of courses.
- All 5 week and 10 week class sequences should be scheduled in the same room to maximize utilization of the space and all five and 10 week classes must be balanced (i.e. 5-5-5 or 10-5, or 5-10).
- Divisions should review the Division Schedule Building Checklist for any additional information pertaining to schedule building.
- Summer Only: No classes should be scheduled in Ocotillo Hall during the second summer session, or after July. Eight and Ten week summer classes that cross over into July, need to be scheduled outside of Ocotillo Hall.
During the division editing period, the following types of classes should not be edited by the division. These classes share space, therefore, the schedules need to be maintained by Instructional Services.
- All Buckeye EMCC classes should be scheduled in conjunction with Instructional Services. These rooms are shared between divisions, and scheduling must occur among all divisions. Classes that are currently scheduled BKEMCC, should not be edited by the Division. Instructional Services will work with all divisions to schedule the classes for these rooms.
SIS Job Aids
Job aids are available on the Instructional Services SharePoint site.
Instructional Services Editing Period
After the initial editing period is completed by the Divisions, any additional changes to the schedule are done by Instructional Services to ensure accuracy.