The Certificate of Completion in Gifted Education provides professional development for certified teachers and leads to provisional and full endorsement in gifted education from the Arizona Department of Education.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses within the program.
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
- Define giftedness and its implications on the social and emotional needs of gifted and talented students.( EPD225)
- Analyze key philosophies, theories, models and research supporting gifted and talented education (EPD225)
- Describe the cognitive, social, emotional, and environmental factors that enhance or inhibit the development of giftedness in all populations. (EPD226)
- Identify varying teaching styles and instructional strategies for gifted and talented students to meet their diverse needs. (EPD226)
- Analyze a variety of diagnostic tools to identify individual learning needs of gifted and talented students. (EPD227)
- Design differentiated learning experiences for gifted and talented students. (EPD227)
- Describe and implement research-based strategies for enhancing creativity in the classroom. (EPD228)
- Describe and implement research-based strategies for teaching critical thinking in the classroom. (EPD228)
- Participate in a K-12 classroom field experience in which most students are identified as gifted.(EPD229, EPD230)
- Record experiences, interactions, goals and self-evaluations in a reflective journal. (EPD229, EPD230)
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|EPD225||Foundations of Gifted Education and Identification of Gifted Learners||3|
|EPD226||Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted and Talented Students||3|
|EPD227||Methods and Models for Differentiating Curriculum for Gifted Learners||3|
|EPD228||Creativity and Critical Thinking Skills in Gifted Education||3|
|EPD229||Gifted Education Practicum I||3|
|EPD230||Gifted Education Practicum II||3|
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.Read the official description