The Estrella Mountain Diversity Core Values Team together with the Human Resources Office invites you to participate in a rewarding professional development opportunity. The “Inclusiveness in the Hiring Process” initiative is a chance for you to participate on a hiring committee at EMCC.
Who should consider volunteering for the program?
This project is for all employees – no matter the position or employee group, all are welcome. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Have I ever served on a hiring committee?
- Have I ever been asked to serve on a hiring committee?
Those who have not had the opportunity to serve on a hiring committee are particularly encouraged to volunteer.
How did this idea get started? Based on the 2011 Core Values Survey there were many questions regarding the process…. such as who is asked to serve on a hiring committee, how the interview process is conducted and how job candidates are identified and selected?
What are the benefits? This is an excellent professional development opportunity. The benefits include:
- Learning the hiring process in a hands-on fashion
- Gaining a deeper understanding of the interview process
- Identifying skills needed in the hiring process, such as interviewing tips
- Developing new professional relationships with fellow campus co-workers
- Dispelling any misconceptions you may have regarding the hiring process
How does this work? The process is quite simple…
- Your name will be automatically added to a database in the Human Resources Office throughout the fiscal year.
- Once a hiring committee chair selects their core committee they will meet with HR and the HR representative will generate a volunteer from the database in the order they are received.
- Once selected, you will be contacted by the hiring manager to join the committee. The committee will proceed as usual per district and campus policy.
- Complete a brief exit survey once your experience is over.
What if my name is selected and I cannot be part of the hiring committee at that particular time?
- You will always have the right of refusal based on district policy, and schedule. If you cannot join a hiring committee when selected, the next volunteer in line will be generated and you will be moved from first in line to second in line.
How long will my name be in the database?
- Volunteers will be added to the database and selected for a hiring committee in the order the applications are received. Volunteer names will be stored in the database for 1 fiscal year. We encourage you to reapply after fiscal year end for the next cycle of hiring committees.
Want to get a head start? Complete the Hiring Process Knowledge Checks now instead of later.