Maricopa Emergency Management System Alert


   Police training will be taking place in front of the Montezuma Hall Courtyard that may involve some minor pedestrian traffic disruption and possible simulated gun fire. There will be signage in place to alert the public and 911 dispatchers will be aware of the training. The training exercises will be held on the following dates from 9am - 5pm: 8/5, 8/6, 8/8, 8/10, 8/12, 8/13.


Event Planning Process

The information on this page is designed to give an overview of the processes relating to planning campus events.  Review the steps below before planning begins:

Discuss the event with your supervisor or division chair.  Determine what, if any, additional approval is needed. 

Upon discussion with your supervisor or division chair, you will determine appropriate funding source(s).  Some options for funding include:

  • Request funding from the appropriate Vice President
  • Request funding from Divisional budget
  • Apply for International Education funding
  • Apply for District funding
  • Apply for CTL grants

Funding must be approved and received prior to moving forward with the event.  Work with your administrative support person to confirm sufficient budget is available in appropriate object codes to support the event (i.e. 53550 - Official Functions, 54100 - General Supplies).

Determine the appropriate location for the event and submit the request for space and set up in the 25Live system.  For more information on using the 25Live system, visit the EMCC calendars page on the EMCC website or email with any questions.

First, determine which suppliers will be used for the event (i.e. speakers, entertainers, caterers, etc.).  Work with your administrative support person to verify these suppliers are active in the college's FMS system.  If the supplier is not active in FMS, have them visit MCCCD Procurement website and complete the Supplier Registration form through the PORTAL.

MCCCD is required to spend its resources only for things that tangibly and directly benefit its educational mission and objectives. Some expenses by their nature are not appropriate. Others require an explanation to meet that requirement.

Examples of expenses that are not official functions are charges for alcoholic beverages, memberships in non-school related civic organizations, and gifts and decorations for parties for births, deaths or weddings. Examples of expenses that may be official functions are employee retreats and conference banquets or hotel contracts.

The Official Function Form must be signed by a Vice President or above and must have an agenda or flyer attached to the form.  Once signed, keep a copy for your reference and to support Petty Cash Vouchers for the event and forward the original form to Fiscal Services.  The Official Function Form can be found on the MCCCD Legal Services site.  If you have any questions relating to the Official Function Form, please contact Leda Johnson.

Some vendors may ask for a contract or agreement to be signed for their records of the service.  EMCC employees DO NOT have the authority to sign an agreement, contract or document on behalf of the college or MCCCD.  This authority has been delegated to District Legal by the Governing Board.  Determine if an MCCCD Contract for Professional Services is necessary or if the supplier has their own contract/agreement that needs to be signed (see the MCCCD Legal Services site for more information).  When a contract/agreement is needed, submit original contract to Fiscal Services.  Please note: Allow a minimum of 4 weeks for contract processing time.

A certificate of insurance naming MCCCD is required for all suppliers providing services to the campus.  This includes speakers, entertainers and catering.  Requirements for the certificate of insurance very specific and are available on the MCCCD Legal Services site.  

Work with your administrative support person to check the Certificate of Insurance Database for a valid certificate of insurance.  The database is available on the MCCCD Legal Services site.

It is the responsibility of the event planner to request the certificate of insurance from the supplier.  If the supplier is unable to meet the requirements listed for the Certificate of Insurance, the event planner can request a review of the requirements by Fiscal Services.  For more information on the request process, click on the Certificate of Insurance link on the left.

Determine if the event will be catered or have snack foods.  Work with your administrative support person to select potential suppliers for catering and contact for a quote.  Outside catering requires a valid certificate of insurance and competition from Chartwells.

Chartwells is the preferred campus caterer and must be contacted for a quote for all catering services over $100.  If Chartwells is used for your event, a certificate of insurance and additional competitive quotes are not needed.

Snack food or non-catered food can be purchased using your Pro-card (after fiscal training has been completed):

  • Official Function must approved prior to purchasing food
  • Pro-card Reconciliation will require a copy of the signed Official Function Form to be attached

For more information, see the link on the left.

Work with the Division's administrative support person to create the FMS requisitions or Pro-card purchases to support the expenses for the event.  Include supporting documentation in the FMS Requisition, including:  Official Function Form, Certificate of Insurance, Contact/Agreement (if needed), and catering quotes. 

Before committing (placing any orders or requesting any services) any EMCC or MCCCD funds, an approved purchasing tool, such as a Purchase Order (PO) must be created and approved by Business Services.  Approved requisitions are created into POs and the requisitioner is notified of the approval and given the PO number, via email.  

For events using a PO, all PO's must be approved before any advertising can begin.