Prior to committing any EMCC or MCCCD funds, an approved purchasing tool must be requested and approved by Fiscal Services or District Purchasing. Approved purchasing tools include a Purchase Order (PO), Procard or cash under an approved Petty Cash Voucher. A requisition is not an approved purchasing tool.
It is the responsibility of the requester, division/department approver and all employees to ensure all MCCCD Administrative Regulations and MCCCD & EMCC Purchasing and Procard Policies/Guidelines are adhered to; failure to comply with the policies/guide lines may result in retraining, suspension, revocation of purchasing ability or employee responsibility for unauthorized purchases.
Unauthorized Purchase Definition
An "Unauthorized Purchase" is an agreement, a commitment, or an order for goods or services, or a change to an existing contract by any person who does not have express written delegation of procurement authority to bind MCCCD. This includes changes under existing contracts that are made by persons who do not have delegated purchasing authority. Unauthorized purchases are not binding on MCCCD and the supplier may be advised to seek payment from the employee.
Unauthorized Purchases include:
- Placing an order without an approved Purchase Order.
- Placing an order either before or after submitting the requisition on the assumption that a PO has or will be approved.
- Overspending the authorized amount of a Blanket Purchase order.
- Coercing a supplier to initiate an order on the promise that a PO is forthcoming.
- Using personal funds to make a purchase of goods or services that would normally require the involvement of purchasing to secure competition, approve sole source or otherwise comply with MCCCD policy and procedure with the intent to seek personal reimbursement.
EMCC does not reimburse employees who use their personal funds for purchases.
Approval of an Unauthorized Purchase will be reviewed by Fiscal Services on a case-by-case basis to determine if the college will pay the supplier for the services or goods. All Unauthorized Purchases require: