Recognizing individual contributions is an important part of sustaining connections and fostering relationships. Estrella Mountain's Employee Recognition Program (ERP) has several opportunities for recognizing and encouraging Learning College Principles within ourselves, our peers and colleagues.
The ERP was approved under the Strategic Directions and Institutional Priorities, Strategic Direction III - Creating an Organizational Culture that Supports Learning:
- Estrella Mountain will cultivate an organizational culture where policies, programs, practices and employees support learning as the major priority. This includes professional development programs and diversity initiatives that prepare all employees to become more effective facilitators of learning.
Two types of recognition are available:
- Learning in Action: Formal nomination and evaluation process.
- Paws in Action: Informal employee-to-employee recognition. Paws in Action can be given/received by any employee - merely pick up a Paw and include an explanation why you're giving the Paw!
Learning in Action Award
Any individual or group can be nominated for extraordinary actions that exemplify the Learning College Principles. Nominations are evaluated by a volunteer committee using nomination criteria rubrics.
Consideration of all nominations are based upon:
- relevance to at least one of the Learning College principles
- demonstrated and extraordinary actions which promote a learning centered environment.
The Learning in Action Award provides an opportunity for employees to recognize a colleague, student or group who demonstrates the Learning College philosophy.
Paws in Action Award
Hearing that we did something well feels good. The Paws in Action award is a reminder - to us and to others - that we do go above and beyond our typical behavior to promote student success and a collegial environment. Informal recognitions – “Paws in Action” – are available to immediately express individual appreciation.
How does Paws in Action work?
- You notice someone promoting camaraderie, supporting morale in daily tasks and/or going above and beyond their role.
- Fill out a Paws in Action - in your explanation, include the specific behavior you witnessed and why you are recognizing the person.
- Give the Paws in Action to the person - let the individual know why they are receiving a Paw.
- After you receive the recognition, display the Paws in Action at your work area.
Use the opportunity to learn about and connect with each other! Sometimes we forget the kind words someone said to us and a visual reminder helps us remember.
A "Paw" can be given and received by any employee. Paws are available at employee areas across the EMCC campus:
- President's office (reception entrance)
- SouthWest Skill Center (SWSC mail room)
- Human Resources (HR office in Komatke)
- Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL reception entrance in Montezuma Hall)
- Student Union (front desk)
- Mariposa Hall (front desk in faculty offices area)
- Ocotillo Hall (front area in faculty offices)
- Montezuma Hall (kitchen area in faculty offices)
- Estrella Hall (reception desk - 1st floor)
- Estrella Hall (front desk in faculty offices - 2nd floor)