As part of the I Will Graduate program, employees extend their talents, resources, and knowledge to connect with students. Retention is everyone's responsibility.
Semester Challenge: Create a relationship with one student that is outside of your day to day interactions (e.g., Faculty - a student that is not in your class, Staff - a student you do not directly advise or interact with regularly).
LEARN. Learn the student's name and story.
ENGAGE. Engage student in personal conversations about her/his goals, purpose, and aspirations.
CONNECT. Connect student to resources and services to help her/him meet their individual goals.
Use the weekly tips for students as reminders or engagement opportunities. The tips are for students during the first 5 weeks of courses to help them 'start off right' and remain successful during the semester.
Week 1 - Building Relationships:
- Get to know your Professors.
- Connect with classmates in your classes.
Week 2 - Semester Planning:
- Create an assignment calendar - record when all exams, quizzes, papers, and finals are due.
- 1 hour of class time = 2 hours of Study Time.
Week 3 - Academic Success:
- Go to class everyday it is scheduled.
- Connect with a tutor to help improve your learning and grades.
- Work with an advisor to complete an educational plan.
Week 4 - Involvement:
- Get involved! Participate in campus clubs, activities and events. EMCC's Online Student calendar.
- Go to the Career and Transfer Center to get help in finding your purpose.
Week 5 - Balance:
- Get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise.
- Prioritize your time. Sometimes you have to learn to say no.