This is a student-operated club with two advisors. The mission is:
- To stimulate interest in Small Business,
- To provide opportunities for members to develop leadership skills
- To build student confidence and competence to interact with Professionals at all levels
- To identify and promote career opportunities and networking in business and related fields
- To support student interest in starting, developing, and sustaining small business.
There are two parts to this club, the Entrepreneur side, is where we invite guests to speak about how to start/expand a business, how to finance a business, how to manage one, etc. The other side, DECA is a collegiate chapter where members are encouraged to compete in academic competitions such as the:
- Fall Leadership Conference in November
- Arizona Career Development Conference (ACDC) in February where students qualify for nationals, and
- International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in April where about 1,500 students from around the World compete in individual case studies and presentations, group/team case studies and presentations, and/or prepared business events. Since EMCC joined DECA in Fall of 2014, we have had the honor of having between two and five students represent EMCC at ICDC, with some of them placing as top competitors. We also attend career tours or field trips, such as at ASU's SkySong (see pictures).
In 2019, we were honored to be part of the Estrella Mountain Community College Innovation of the Year in a project entitled, "Creating an Entrepreneurial Mindset, One Student at a Time." Here is a one page diagram of that project.