Federal Work Study Supervisors interested in hiring a Federal Work Study (FWS) student, please follow the steps listed below:
- Post the position in HCM
- Post the position on the EMCC Jobs website.
- Screen and interview your qualified applicants.
- Email Office of Financial Aid (firstname.lastname@example.org) the FWS Eligibility Verification Request (FEVR) once you have determined which candidate(s) you would like to hire. The FWS Eligibility Verification Request (FEVR) is available as a downloand.
- Office of Financial Aid (OFA) will return FEVR to supervisor indicating if student is eligible to be hired as FWS.
- If the student is eligible, the supervisor directs the candidate to the district website to create a profile in the applicant system (or Sign In if already registered) and apply to the Part-Time Temporary Pool (the job location should be Districtwide). https://careers.maricopa.edu
- Hiring managers will need to submit a “Request To Hire” help desk ticket to initiate the hire process. The ticket requires the following data points:
- Supervisor Name
- Candidate Name
- Position Number
- Start Date
- Pay Rate
Note: In the Employee Learn Center there are procedures to create a new position or modify to increase the headcount of an existing position and procedures to help students apply for the position in HCM. Pathway: Employee Lean Center > Resources > HCM Managers/HR
Federal Work Study Supervisor Responsibilities:
1. The FWS supervisor is responsible for monitoring student earnings to ensure the student does not earn more than his/her FWS eligibility allows. If a student is overpaid, the hiring department will be required to cover the overage. FWS for the employee must be terminated in HCM when eligibility is exhausted. Supervisors can monitor earnings using the FWS Earnings Spreadsheet (see downloads) and/or the Workstudy Tracking page in HCM. Pathway: MCCD Custom > MCCC Payroll > Use > MDDC Workstudy Tracking.
2. Supervisors are required to terminate FWS for the employee if the student drops below six credits per semester at EMCC, is not meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress Standards, or is no longer eligible for any reason.
3. Supervisors are responsible to ensure FWS employees are performing college/organization related work for all hours they are being paid. Students cannot be paid FWS funds for studying, attending classes, or any other non-work activity.
4. All hours reported and approved by the Supervisor in HCM must be hours the FWS employee was in the office or organization working. Work from home or work in an office/organization when a Supervisor is not present is not permissible. FWS employees must be supervised at all times with the supervisor present in the work environment.
5. If there are questions please email the EMCC Office of Financial Aid at email@example.com or send a Skype/Lync chat to dl-emc-financialaid