Career interviews and job shadowing allow you to explore different career fields by interviewing and/or visiting with professionals. Both experiences work well if you do not have the time for 1-to-1 mentoring, but would like information about a particular job or career. Also, you can choose to do a career interview and/or job shadow to supplement your 1-to-1 mentoring experience. Career interviews will be coordinated first, with the potential to arrange a job shadowing experience with the professional based on availability. Both activities are open to all students who have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credit hours - merely specify your career direction and goal.
On the E2 application, select "Career Interview" and/or "Job Shadow":
- Apply by the semester deadline.
Students must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credits prior to being matched for a career interview and/or job shadow.
- Communicate with the Career Center staff. REPLY to all emails and complete the requirements for interviewing a career professional.
The Career Center staff will assist you with the requirements:
- Complete a Kuder assessment.
- Receive a packet, which includes the name and contact information of the professional you will be interviewing and information to help you prepare for the interview.
- Contact the professional. Set a time, date and location for the interview or job shadow. (Make the initial contact with the professional and set up a convenient time – up to a 1-hour interview or up to a 4-hour job shadow.)
- Prepare for the interview or job shadow according to your career direction and goal. Career Center staff will help you construct your interview questions, so that you are prepared to ask and receive relevant information from the professional you are interviewing.
- Send thank you note to the professional.
- Complete the Career Center exit survey.
Campus and community professionals have agreed to volunteer their time for these activities. The professionals work with the Career Center and are happy to participate. You will engage in professional communication skills during the interview or job shadow, which may help you in future career goals!