ACCUPLACER/WritePlacer Placement Tests are computerized tests for English, math, and reading.
- The English (WritePlacer) test requires you to write an essay of between 300 and 600 words.
- For math, new students will take the Elementary Algebra test (@ 12 multiple choice questions).
- The Reading Comprehension test has 22 multiple choice questions.
Click on the links on the right for sample reading and math questions, and to see sample essays.
You cannot "pass" or "fail" the placement tests, but it is very important that you do your very best on these tests so that you will have an accurate measure of your academic skills. Your test scores determine which classes you can sign up for. Download the Course Placement Chart above for more information.
Placement Testing is free - please see the Testing Schedule (link on the left) for days and times of availability
Students may take the placement tests up to 3 times in 2 years. After the first attempt, they can test again no sooner than the next day. For a third attempt, they must wait a minimum of 90 days from the first attempt.
All placement test scores for Accuplacer/WritePlacer are valid for 2 years from the date of testing. The only exeption is if a student scores "Reading Exempt" on the reading test. A reading exemption score never expires.
Placement testing is required for
- All students new to college
- Students pursuing a degree
- Students pursuing a program at the SouthWest Skill Center
- Students taking their first college level English, Reading or Math class
- Students taking a class that requires English, Reading or Math as a prerequisite
If you have a documented disability, including a learning disability, and would like to discuss possible accommodations, please contact the Disabilities Resources and Services Office at 623-935-8863 or by email at email@example.com