The Hoop of Learning Application is NOW OPEN. Deadline for Spring 2022 Start: December 15, 2021. Deadline for Summer 2022 Start: March 1, 2022. Apply Now
The Hoop of Learning Program is an early high school bridge program created to encourage students to stay in school and graduate as well as increase their matriculation to college. A basic tenet of the Hoop of Learning program is the belief in the importance of young people developing strong positive cultural identities and integrity. To this end, culturally relevant curriculum is particularly important to this program and students are asked to take classes that focus on Native American history and cultural themes. Native American high school students, grades 9th through 12th, are given the opportunity to earn college credits while still in high school.
Mission Statement and Goals
Encourage, enable and empower Native American students to complete high school and transition successfully into higher education.
- Increase high school retention and graduation rates
- Increase Native American participation and matriculation rates into college
- Create the conditions for retaining Native American students to reach their higher education goals
- Enhance Native American culturally relevant curriculum
- Increase diversity of campuses
- Strengthen external collaboration by establishing partnerships with Native American communities, school districts and other agencies
Native American Students enrolled in middle and high school grades 9-12 with a 2.0 or higher Grade Point Average (GPA) and with good classroom attendance.
- Be an enrolled member of a federal/state recognized tribe (or in the process of obtaining a census number).
- Students must take assessment tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics.
- Student must have a minimum 2.00 GPA in High School.
- Student and Parent(s)/Guardian(s) are required to attend the mandatory orientation.
Student must submit:
- A completed Hoop of Learning Application.
- EMCC Student Admission Application
- Copies of Birth Certificate and Tribal Enrollment.
- 506 form if necessary.
Complete and turn in a Hoop of Learning application to the EMCC Hoop of Learning office, Komatke Building. All Native American students are required to take the English, Reading and Math placement tests at EMCC’s Testing Center. For an appointment call 623 935 8900 or 623 935 8832. All Native American Indian students accepted into the program will participate with their parents or guardian in a mandatory program orientation prior to the first day of class.