Education and Training GI BILL® Benefit Chapters

There are numerous education and training benefits available to Veterans and Service Members. Spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance. In fact, 25 percent of those benefiting from VA’s education programs are non-Veterans. Some may find that they are eligible for more than one benefit, or that one program is more suited to certain education and training goals than another.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Learn about these and other education and training programs administered by VA:

Education and Training GI BILL® Benefit Chapters

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (also known as Chapter 33 benefits)

Began on August 1, 2009. Eligibility may be established using active duty service performed on or after 9-11-01. You may apply online by visiting  or you may apply in the Office of Veteran Affairs on campus. For more information please visit:

View information about the new G.I. Bill on these two websites:
(Official Site) or

Please be advised that those students who have elected to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) the Veteran Center on campus will require a copy of the VONAPP - Veterans On-Line Application VA form 22-1990 and/or the certificate of eligibility. This will be necessary in order to process your future awards. It is suggested that those documents be turned in when you are submitting your VA certification request.

All Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients registering for classes MUST complete a VA deferment (promissory note) at our office every semester. This is important so that your classes will not be dropped on the tuition and fee payment due dates.

If you are called to active duty you will need to contact this Office as well as the Business Office of your status.  A copy of your military orders will be necessary to process your withdrawal properly.

Eligible Service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation. VA pays veteran a monthly stipend. Must submit a monthly certification of attendance.

For more information:

Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. EFFECTIVE Feb 3, 2012, dependents may receive payments by Direct Deposit. Students wishing to do so call VA Education call center at 1-800-827-1000. You will need to provide routing number, account number, and account type.

You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

Period of Eligibility:
If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, there are some exceptions.

For more Information:

Eligibility to transfer benefits to a spouse or dependents is based on length of service and retirement eligibility date. Only active service persons can transfer entitlement. See for full details.

  • Transferring benefits is a two-step process:
  1. The service member must apply with Department of Defense for approval to transfer the benefits when on active duty service.
  2. Once DoD approval is received, the spouse or child applies through VONAPP at to complete the transfer.

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) pays eligible dependents up to 36 months of the full, 100% level, of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This includes the tuition and fee payment, a monthly housing allowance, and a books and supplies stipend. For more information on payment rates click here. The Fry Scholarship is available for children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. For more information click here.  


To apply, take these steps depending on your situation:

  • To apply, obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the state where you will advance your education and training. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application. you may have to make an irrevocable election between the Fry Scholarship and the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance program to receive benefits. 
  • If you have started your educational program, take your application to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, and send both forms to VA. He or she can submit an Enrollment Certification electronically using VA-ONCE. (Note: Schools must contact their VA representative to receive this form.)


REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress. VA pays a monthly stipend based on length of active duty service. Must submit a monthly certification of attendance.

For more Information:


This is a tax free employment program through the VA.  You must be enrolled at least ¾ time and be receiving VA educational benefits. The following offices employ VA work study; please inquire directly with that office to see if they have a current need for student workers. Please have an updated resume.

EMCC Veterans Center (EMCC Main campus)    (623) 935-8937