Veterans Services

MyCAA Program for Military Spouse Career Advancement

Program Sponsor: Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Military Community & Family Policy (DUSD/MC&FP)

Program Description: The MyCAA Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship helps military spouses pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or associate degrees necessary to gain employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations. Spouses may use their MyCAA funds at any academic institution approved for participation in the MyCAA Scholarship. 

Who Is Eligible: 

Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades.

Those who are not eligible include: Spouses married to service members in pay grades E-6 and above, W-3 and above and O-3 and above, Spouses who are a member of the armed forces themselves currently on Title 10 orders, Spouses who are married but legally separated (or under court order or statute of any state or U.S. territory) from a member of the armed forces on Title 10 orders, Spouses whose National Guard/reserve component military sponsor is in a Warning Orders/Alert, Post Deployment/ Demobilization or Transition Status, Spouses married to a member of the Coast Guard, Spouses who are unable to start and complete coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 orders.

What MyCAA Pays For: 

The MyCAA Scholarship pays tuition costs for education and training courses and examinations leading to an associate degree (excluding associate degrees in General Studies, Liberal Arts and Interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration). The scholarship also covers the costs for obtaining a license, certificate or certification at an accredited college, university or technical school in the United States or approved testing organization that expands employment or portable career opportunities for military spouses.

How MyCAA Financial Assistance Works: 

A military spouse can apply for MyCAA Financial Assistance after creating a MyCAA Career and Training Plan.

  • A Career and Training Plan includes the spouse’s chosen career field, name of school and course information (course titles, codes, costs and start/end dates).  If incorrect information is provided, the MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) request will be rejected during the school invoicing process. The spouse will then be responsible for paying course costs.
  • FA requests are initiated each time the spouse adds specific course start/end dates that begin within the next 90 days.
  • It is critical that spouses select the correct school name/campus location and input correct course information into their Career and Training Plan to prevent billing problems.  This information should be validated by school officials prior to the spouse requesting MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA).
  •  Career and Training Plans may be edited (e.g. courses may be changed or dropped) up to ten days prior to the start date of a course.  At that point, the Plan will be approved and locked for billing purposes to guarantee the spouse a seat in the class.  Courses may be added up until 7 days past course start dates.
  • Data in the Career and Training Plan is used to validate school bills for payment purposes.  Approved courses may be billed by the school at or below stated costs.  Schools may charge penalty fees, partial or full course costs for dropped courses according to their published Drop/Add policies.  Spouses need to be familiar with these school policies.

How to Get Started: 

Spouses can visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal online at and provide the required Spouse Profile information. A real-time DEERS eligibility check will confirm if spouses meet MyCAA eligibility requirements. Once confirmed, spouses can move forward and establish a MyCAA Account. Those who do not pass this check will be provided additional guidance.

Where to get additional information or assistance:

Call a SECO Career Counselor at 800-342-9647 Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST

Estella Mountain CC Academic Advisors Marsha Carlen - Veterans Center Program Advisor or Linda Scott - Director of Career & Education Planning Services

Who Can Help Schools Register for MyCAA: 

Schools should contact MyCAA School Liaisons at 1-888-256-9920 or send an email to These two resources are for SCHOOL OFFICIALS ONLY and must not be used by spouses. If spouses use these resources they can cause significant delays and prevent themselves from receiving MyCAA Financial Assistance.