The purpose of student assessment is to gather evidence of student performance over a period of time in order to measure and continuously improve learning.
The purpose of the Student Assessment Committee (SAC) is to coordinate faculty and college resources in order to sustain a robust assessment framework at the course, program, and college level.
EMCC is a learning college where learning occurs anywhere, anyplace and anytime. Two guiding questions help with decision making across the college:
- How does this improve student learning?
- How do we know?
Every employee influences student learning. The Student Assessment Committee is dedicated to answering the questions: What? So what? and Now what?
EMCC will provide comprehensive, robust, and meaningful assessment processes that reflect the diverse academic and occupational program and co and extra curricular activities.
To improve student learning through the:
- Integration of student learning outcomes at the course, program, institutional and co/extra curricular levels
- Creative and practical assessment of student achievement
- Analysis of assessment data to inform learning practices and make improvements at all levels: course, program, institutional, and co/extra curricular
- Continuous assessment of programs and activities therefore providing exceptional learning experiences for all students
Assessment Core Values
College-Wide: Assessment is important both inside and outside of the classroom and anyone and everyone has an impact upon student learning
Multi-Level: Learning outcomes are created by faculty/staff at the classroom, program, and institutional levels as well as co- and extra-curricular levels, and reflect student skills, attitudes, and knowledge
Purposeful: Student learning outcomes are measurable and help answer the questions "How does this improve learning?" and "How do we know?"
Continuous Improvement: The data collected leads to conversations, improvements, innovations, and informed decisions to continually do what is best for student learning