Assessment is one of the foundations of our Learning College Philosophy and is critical for the College in making program changes to improve student learning and institutional effectiveness.
Estrella Mountain Community College is a Learning College where learning occurs anyway, anyplace, and anytime. Two guiding questions help with decision making:
- How does this improve student learning?
- How do we know?
Every employee has an influence upon student learning. The Student Assessment Committee is dedicated to answering the questions What? So What? and Now What?
EMCC Assessment Vision
Estrella Mountain Community College will provide comprehensive, robust, and meaningful assessment processes that reflect the diverse academic and occupational programs, and co- and extra- curricular activities.
EMCC Assessment Mission
To improve student learning through the:
- Integration of student learning outcomes at the course, program, institution, and co- / extra-curricular levels
- Creative and practical assessment of student achievement
- Analysis of assessment data to inform learning practices and make improvements at all levels: course, program, institutional, and co- / extra-curricular and
- Continuous assessment of programs and activities therefore, providing exceptional learning experiences for all students
Assessment Core Values
College-Wide: Assessment is important both inside and outside of the classroom and anyone and everyone has an impact upon student learning
Multi-Level: Learning outcomes are created by faculty/staff at the classroom, program, and institutional levels as well as co- and extra-curricular levels, and reflect student skills, attitudes, and knowledge
Purposeful: Student learning outcomes are measurable and help answer the questions "How does this improve learning?" and "How do we know?"
Continuous Improvement: The data collected leads to conversations, improvements, innovations, and informed decisions to continually do what is best for student learning