The key to writing a resume is customization. While submitting the same resume to multiple employers is easy, you may not meet the employer’s individual requirements. Although it may take more of your time, you can strengthen your chances of being noticed by customizing your resume and cover letter for each individual job post.
The most effective way to do this is to have one general resume and customize it for each position you are applying for. In order to find out what the employer needs are, pay attention to the job descriptions and requirements. Once you have done this, you can then modify your accomplishments and duties so they pertain and are relevant to the position you are applying for. This will allow you to highlight that you have all the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the job. Below are links that will help you in this process.
- Writing a resume? Start here. Jobing.com's Writing a Resume Video is informative with tons of great advice.
- Maricopa Career Network has an affiliation with Jobing.com that allows our students and the community to utilize great features such as the JResume. Create an account with MCN to create, customize, and share your resume like never before.
- azjobconnections has an interactive Resume tutorial to help you build every section of your resume
- Samples of resumes for different careers
- For resume assistance, please bring in a copy of your resume to have it reviewed. Please call 623.935.8740 for more information and to schedule an appointment.
Interview and Follow Up:
- Jobing.com video on Interviewing
- This link provides useful information that will prepare you for before, during, and after the interview. It will also provide other useful links on related topics.
- You should always conduct company research prior to each interview through the company website. Learn about their mission, vision, values and/or services they provide. In addition, websites such as Glassdoor, can give you additional information regarding companies that may be helpful to review.
- If you are getting ready for an interview and need help with Q&A, this website will go over different types of questions and allow you to sample interview questions.
- The provided link will give you interview tips, techniques, and advice.
Social Media and Networking
- The LinkedIn for Students: Learn how students can use LinkedIn in the job market
- Jobing.com Building a Personal Brand Video
- Networking. Jobing.com's informative video on networking
Obtain salary information at salary.com