When do I apply for OPT?
The earliest you can file your application with USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) is 90 days prior to the completion of your studies (the end date on your Form I-20). Keep in mind, it can take up to three (3) months for USCIS to approve your application and send your card. If you do not plan well, it may reduce the 12-months of OPT eligibility accordingly.
You are responsible for finding an OPT opportunity. Although EMCC does not locate or place students in OPT jobs, you are welcome to visit the EMCC Career & Transfer Center for guidance and assistance or the following link for information regarding Internships.
Please review the following items for eligibility requirements and instruction:
- OPT must relate to your program of study (major) and appropriate to level of education.
- You do not need a job offer prior to applying for OPT.
- Your job may be anywhere in the United States.
- You must find the OPT work opportunity on your own.
- You can apply for up to 12 months of OPT at the attainment of each education level (i.e., 12 months at the associate’s degree level, and 12 months at the bachelor’s degree level, etc.).
- You must request OPT through your school Advisor/DSO.
- You must report any change of name, address, status, or employment to Advisor/DSO immediately.
- IMPORTANT: BEFORE YOU TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE UNITED
STATES WHILE ON OPT OR WHILE OPT IS PENDING, SEE YOUR ADVISOR/DSO.
My DSO said I could apply for OPT… Now what?
Complete your Form I-767 "Application for Employment Authorization" (e-file).
If approved, your DSO will provide you with a new Form I-20 with updated recommendation for this type of employment program (OPT). It is highly encouraged that you read the following INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE you apply online.
PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO COMPLETE THE FORM I-765 “APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION”.
You must apply for work authorization by e-filing a Form I-765 “Application for Employment Authorization” with USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). You will be required to include the Form I-20 (endorsed by DSO within past 30 days), pay the $380 filing fee, and include various supporting documents as required.
FOR SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR E-FILING (FILING YOUR FORM ELECTRONICALLY, ONLINE) YOUR FORM I-765, “APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION”, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
AFTER YOU SUBMIT YOUR FORM I-765 “Application for Employment Authorization”…
Once you have submitted your application and paid the filing fee, USCIS will provide you with an electronic confirmation receipt that includes the following:
- Your receipt number
- Where to mail the required supporting documents listed in the form instructions. If you do not send the required documents to the address listed on the confirmation receipt, your application may be delayed or denied.
- See page 6 – 7, #1 – 2 (A – C) of Form I-765 Instructions (04/01/13). Be sure to see section C regarding strict photograph requirements.
- USCIS will mail you a Form I-797, “Notice of Action”. This is an important document that you should use as evidence that you filed for this application.
- The USCIS office where your case is assigned will adjudicate (review and judge) your application.
If your application is approved by USCIS, they will send you a Form I-766 “Employment Authorization Document” (EAD).
Now you will need to apply for a Social Security Card.
Apply for your Social Security Card
A Social Security number is assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States. This number is printed on their Social Security Card and should be kept in a safe place. Social Security numbers are used by your employer to report your wages earned to the U.S. government.
FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY for your Social Security Card and what documents you will need to present to the Social Security Administration, please click HERE.
For the Social Security Administration APPLICATION for a Social Security Card, please click HERE
In order for you to apply for a Social Security Card, you will need to take the application and supporting documents to the Social Security Office located at:
16241 N. Tatum Blvd, Suite B
Phoenix, AZ 85032
HOURS: Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
CLOSED: Saturdays and Sundays
Please check the SSA website for the most up-to-date information regarding location and hours of operation. Choose the “I Need Card Services” button.
DO NOT START WORK UNTIL YOUR REQUEST IS APPROVED by uscis (u.s. citizenship & immigration services)!!
For information regarding a 17-Month OPT STEM Extension.