What is Phi Theta Kappa?
Phi Theta Kappa is the largest honor society in higher education, serving 1,250 two-year colleges around the world and offering exclusive programs and benefits for members that contribute to a dynamic, multi-dimensional college experience. Promoting academic achievement is only part of Phi Theta Kappa’s purpose. Members are connected to a vast array of resources that provide academic enrichment and servant leadership opportunities. Scholarly and leadership development focus on career preparation and networking, community service, and developing tomorrow’s global leaders.
The mission of Phi Theta Kappa is to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa provides opportunities for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.
Phi Theta Kappa's mission is two-fold: 1) recognize and encourage the academic achievement of two-year college students and (2) provide opportunities for individual growth and development through participation in honors, leadership, service and fellowship programming.
Phi Theta Kappa at Estrella Mountain
Beta Alpha Xi, the Estrella Mountain Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, has achieved an outstanding Five Star Ranking since forming in 1995, and, over recent years, has earned recognition as one of the most active chapters in the statewide Arizona Region of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
We look forward to building on our tradition of excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service to achieve even more successes in the years ahead.
For 2012, our members continued to excel in the quality and range of their efforts:
- International Hallmark Awards for Distinguished Chapter and Distinguished Honors in Action (HIA)Project. The chapter received a Top 100 Chapters ranking in the Phi Theta Kappa organization for the 5th time in the last six years.
- Beta Alpha Xi received the following Arizona Region Awards: Distinguished Chapter, Distinguished Member Randall Fields, winner of the Science HIA Project Award, Top five HIA and College Projects, and its 16th consecutive 5-Star ranking.
- Members Kathryn Brown and Randall Fields campaigned for Division IV International VP at International Convention in Nashville, TN. International Office is the highest level of student leadership within Phi Theta Kappa.
In 2011, we shared these successes:
- Member Kathryn Brown was elected as Arizona Region Central District Vice-President at the Arizona Region Convention at Cochise Community College in Sierra Vista, AZ in February.
- Five officers and members participated in the 93rd International Phi Theta Kappa Convention in Seattle, WA, in April. The group also presented its 2011 Honors in Action Project, The Impact of Digital Technology on Civic Engagement in Non-Profit Charities, at the New Ideas poster showcase during the convention.
- Chapter Advisor Marylyn Bradley received a 2011 Distinguished Advisor Hallmark Award, one of 30 awarded nationally.
- Chapter co-sponsored the 2011 Arizona Region Central District Leadership Institute with Mesa Community College’s Omicron Beta Chapter on May 20 under the leadership of member and Arizona Region Central District Vice-President Kathryn Brown.
2010 was a banner year for Beta Alpha Xi Chapter. The Chapter and its student members received numerous awards for its efforts:
- Distinguished Chapter for the statewide Arizona Region.
- EMCC student Monika Groomes successfully completed her year-long term as District IV International Vice President for the Western United States, Canada, and Pacific Islands chapters. She was one of 5 students elected to serve at this highest level of student leadership within Phi Theta Kappa.
- Three EMCC students (Lauren Hansen, Yvette Moller, and Kevin Riley) served as Arizona Region Officers and were honored when the Arizona Region was named one of the Top Three Regional Boards within Phi Theta Kappa.
- International Hallmark Awards for Service, Scholarship, Distinguished Chapter President, and Distinguished Chapter.
- Ranking as one of the Top 100 chapters in the Phi Theta Kappa organization for the fourth consecutive year.