International F-1 Student Health Insurance

Health Insurance for F-1 International Students

International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP)

If you have a life-threatening emergency...
call 9-1-1


Health insurance is required for all international students. The Maricopa County Community College District International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP) is provided to meet this requirement.

All international students are automatically enrolled in this plan with payment due each semester, the amount due is split between the fall and spring terms. and is included with your tuition and fees. If you pay by payment plan, this amount will be included in the total amount due for the semester.

For a "snap shot" or quick summary of the health plan information, including costs of coverage and a summary of benefits and limitations, please see the PLAN (plan information is available in several languages for better understanding).

For answers to some frequently-asked questions, click here for FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ).

How do I find a Doctor, Hospital, or Urgent Care Facility and what is the difference?

It is wise to find a doctor and to know where the closest emergency room and urgent care facilities are to your home and to school BEFORE you get sick or faced with an emergency.

DOCTOR normally takes care of your everyday health needs including preventative care, prescription refills, or when you’re feeling sick.

URGENT CARE centers are for when your doctor’s office is closed or not accepting appointments, and you are feeling sick or need immediate medical attention for non-life threatening conditions such as: mild to moderate illness, flu, fever, sore throat, mild asthma, cough, sports injuries, rash, and even broken bones.

An EMERGENCY ROOM (also called an “ER”) is normally located in a hospital and is for life-threatening issues. Emergency situations might include: shortness of breath, chest pain, head injury, changes in vision, confusion, abdominal pain, severe vomiting or diarrhea, seizures, or heavy bleeding.

Click the following link to FIND A DOCTOR OR SERVICE.

CLAIM PROCEDURE – In the event of injury or illness follow these steps:

  1. Be sure to keep your INSURANCE CARD with you at all times, with a photo ID.
  2. Go to the nearest approved PPO Doctor’s office, Urgent Care, or Hospital.
  3. After you receive treatment at a PPO provider, they will submit a claim to the insurance company. The information they need is on your ID card.

If you have questions regarding this process or submitting a claim, please see the following link, then choose the "Claims" link for detailed information on the process for getting your medical bills paid.

If you have a life-threatening emergency...
call 9-1-1