What is Placement Testing?
The Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) determines initial course placement for English, Reading, and Mathematics courses using Accuplacer & Writeplacer tests. Placement testing is required for:
- Students who are new to college and are pursuing a degree or transfer pathway
- Students taking their first college English, reading or math course or any college course for which English, reading or math is a prerequisite
- Students who are admitted as "Special Admission" students taking college classes while still attending high school
Placement scores are important!! Scores determine which classes you can enroll in; the higher your score, the more options you have. Students should prepare for testing by reviewing test materials and practicing sample questions. In addition, EMCC offers test prep resources to help you brush up on your skills and improve your test results. Choose preparation options from the Related Resources section on the right side of the page.
Placement Testing is:
- Not timed
- Accuplacer Test for Reading. Tests reading comprehension; 20 multiple choice questions.
- Accuplacer Test for Math. Students start with Elementary Algebra test; 12 multiple choice questions. Test may branch down into Arithmetic or up into College Level Math.
- Writeplacer Test for English. Write a 300-600 word essay.
Placement Test Results
Student typically receive their results the same day, however you may receive a “pending notification” in lieu of a score on the WritePlacer test. This happens for a variety of reasons and is not indicative of the course placement. Scores are typically available within two business days in your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu
To access your scores follow these steps:
- Navigate to my.maricopa.edu
- Select Student Center (Under Student Tools) and log in with your MEID & Password
- Select Test Scores link
- Print out a copy of your Writeplacer Score for your ROAR session
You must have test results for Writeplacer prior to attending a ROAR Session. Please take your original test scores with you to your ROAR session.
1. After 1st attempt, test can be taken again as soon as the next day.
2. After 2nd attempt, must wait at least 90 days from the first date before attempting a third time.
3. After 3rd attempt, no more re-tests for 2 years.