Nursing Entrance Exam (HESI A2)
- required for any student applying to an MCCCD Nursing program
- set up Evolve account prior to testing--download instructions above
- four-hour timed test
- costs $40 (subject to change) – pay at cashier's desk
- No appointment needed
- Walk in between 8 and 1 Monday through Thursday or between 9 and 12 on Fridays (closed Fridays during the summer)
To prepare for the HESI A2
- Official practice book for the HESI A2 available for check-out at EMCC's library
- Unofficial practice questions available online https://uniontestprep.com/hesia2 and http://www.test-guide.com/free-hesi-a2-practice-tests.html
- Information about the test and preparation available online https://evolve.elsevier.com/studentlife/hesi.html
Required Sections of the HESI A2
1. Math: 55-item exam. Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, and general math facts that are useful, for example, when calculating drug dosages and solutions.
2. Reading Comprehension: 55-item exam. Reading scenarios that are health related. Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, including: identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. The reading scenarios pop up on the screen. Students can move around the windows to see the entire scenario.
3. Vocabulary and General Knowledge: 55-item exam. Contains basic vocabulary that is often used in health care fields.
4. Grammar: 55-item exam. Contains basic grammar, including: parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, and commonly occurring grammatical errors.
- Math score 75% or higher
- English Composite score 80% or higher (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Grammar test scores averaged together)
- Scores will remain valid for 24 months from the date the test was taken. Students may take the HESI A2 up to three times in a 12 month period, with 60 days minimum between attempts.
Please note that the HESI A2 is a separate test from the HESI PN Exit Exam. This office does not offer the HESI PN. To take the HESI PN, contact the Glendale Community College Testing Center at 623-845-3058.
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Skill Center Program is no longer available on this campus.