The HESI A2* is a computer based exam required for students applying to the Maricopa Community Colleges District Nursing Program.
Fee for the HESI A2 test is $40.00 (fees subject to change)
No appointment required for testing. Time limit for HESI A2 exam is 4 hours. Students need to arrive at the testing center no later than 1 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, and no later than 12 p.m. on Fridays. During the Summer, students need to arrive no later than 1:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday to take the HESI. (We are closed on Fridays during the summer.)
**BEFORE TESTING** Be sure to create your account with Evolve prior to arriving for your test. You will need your username and password to sign in for the HESI A2. Please visit the HESI website (print instructions from above where it says "Evolve Account Setup" or visit EMCC Testing Center to receive a paper copy) and be prepared with your login information when you come in to test.
Admission to the nursing program requires the following HESI A2 scores: English Composite score 80% or higher (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Grammar test scores averaged together); Math score 75% or higher. Scores will remain valid for 24 months from the date the test was taken. Students may take the HESI A2 up to three times in a 12 month period, with 60 days minimum between attempts
- An official practice book for the HESI A2 is available for check-out at EMCC's library
- Free unofficial practice questions also available online https://uniontestprep.com/hesia2 and http://www.test-guide.com/free-hesi-a2-practice-tests.html
- For additional information about the test and preparation resources:https://evolve.elsevier.com/studentlife/hesi.html
- No Outside Calculator, Cell Phone, or Technical Device Allowed during testing (there is a built-in calculator on the test)
Required Sections of the HESI A2
Math: 55-item exam. Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, and general math facts that are useful, for example, when calculating drug dosages and solutions.
Reading Comprehension: 55-item exam. Reading scenarios that are health related. Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, including: identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. The reading scenarios pop up on the screen. Students can move around the windows to see the entire scenario.
Vocabulary and General Knowledge: 55-item exam. Contains basic vocabulary that is often used in health care fields.
Grammar: 55-item exam. Contains basic grammar, including: parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, and commonly occurring grammatical errors.
Additional sections of the HESI A2 (not included in minimum score requirements)
- Learning Styles: 14-item assessment of preferred learning style.
- Personality Style: 25-item assessment of personality related to preferred learning style. Students receive a printout with study tips based on their learning style and personality profile.
- Critical Thinking: 30-item assessment of critical thinking ability. This exam is a four-choice, multiple-choice test. All answers are correct; however, each choice reflects a different degree critical thinking skills. Scores range from 0-1000. The higher the score, the better the ability to think critically within the discipline of nursing.