Presidents' Honors Scholarship
Presidents' Honors Scholarships are for incoming, first-year college students who earned a final, unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher in high school.
The Presidents' Honors Scholarship covers in-state/in-county tuition up to 15 credit hours (plus $15 registration fee) per semester, but does not apply to summer sessions. To be eligible, students must enroll at the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) campus of their choice in the academic year (two academic semesters) following high school graduation or equivalency without having attending another accredited college or university before enrolling in an MCCCD campus (co-enrollment, dual enrollment, and summer session excluded).
Applications can be received by:
- Submitting the online President's Honors Scholarship application
- Emailing a signed and completed PDF copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dropping off physical application to the Honors Office located in Estrella Hall S-148
Deadlines – No Exceptions:
- December 15, 2023 by 5pm – Spring 2024
- July 15, 2023 by 5 pm – Fall 2023
GPA only placement (final, unweighted high school GPA of at least 3.25)
NOTE: The Presidents' Honors Scholarship does not cover expenses for pass/fail courses (exception: Required degree-specific pass/fail courses are within scholarship guidelines)
Presidents' Honors Scholars in good standing after completing at least one (1) semester of coursework, may apply for the deferment for the purpose of taking part in activities that would interrupt required continuous enrollment, for example, faith-based mission or medical or accident situations.
- Deferment may be granted for a maximum of two (2) years; exceptions to this on a case-by-case basis
- Expected to enroll in Honors-only cohort classes for the first two (2) semesters of the scholarship (1st year)
Presidents' Scholarship Requirements
Presidents' scholars must meet and maintain the following requirements for the program:
- Attend Honors orientation and all mid-semester check-ins
- MCCCD cumulative GPA of 3.25 each semester in the program
- Enroll in minimum of 12 credits (100 level or higher, letter grade) for four (4) semesters
- Attend two (2) co-curriculars (one before week 8 and one after week 8), complete the required reflection for each event, and submit the reflections by the due date
- Complete one (1) Honors Project each semester in the program (in either a cohort, section or as an Individual Honors Project) for a total of four (4) projects (graduation from the Honors Program requires five (5) Honors Projects)
- Ensure that three (3) of the four required Honors Projects are in different prefixes: (see examples below)
NOTE: If you need to drop a class or add another one back into your schedule, please contact the Honors Office so we can discuss how these changes may affect your scholarship.
Example 1: A student completes Honors Projects in English 101 (ENG), Math 142 (MAT), History 103 (HIS) and Sociology 130 (SOC). The student has four (4) different prefixes: ENG, MAT, HIS, and SOC and has met the requirement.
Example 2: A student loves her literature and English classes and completes Honors Projects in English 101 (ENG), English 102 (ENG), English Humanities: Banned Books & Censorship (ENH), and English Humanities: Mythology. The student has only two (2) different prefixes: ENG and ENH and would need another class with a different prefix to meet the requirement.