Presidents' Honors Scholarships are for incoming, first-year college students who meet any of the pathways criterion below to receive the scholarship:
The Presidents' Honors Scholarship covers in-state/in-county tuition up to 15 credit hours (plus $15 registration fee) per semester, but does not apply to summer sessions. To be eligible, students must enroll at the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) campus of their choice in the academic year (two academic semesters) following high school graduation or equivalency without having attending another accredited college or university before enrolling in an MCCCD campus (co-enrollment, dual enrollment, and summer session excluded).
As a reminder, the tuition incentives offered in 2020, including the 12-unit tuition cap and the 6-unit in-state rate for non-resident students, were only a one-time promotion that was funded through general district reserves and will not be continued for 2021-2022.
Applications can be received by:
- Submitting the online President's Honors Scholarship application
- Emailing a signed and completed PDF copy to email@example.com
- Dropping off physical application to the Honors Office located in Estrella Hall S-148
Deadlines – No Exceptions:
- December 17, 2021 by 5pm – Spring 2022
- July 15, 2022 by 5 pm – Fall 2022
GPA only placement (final, unweighted high school GPA of at least 3.25)
NOTE: The Presidents' Honors Scholarship does not cover expenses for pass/fail courses (exception: Required degree-specific pass/fail courses are within scholarship guidelines)
Presidents' Honors Scholars in good standing after completing at least one (1) semester of coursework, may apply for the deferment for the purpose of taking part in activities that would interrupt required continuous enrollment, for example, faith-based mission or medical or accident situations.
- Deferment may be granted for a maximum of two (2) years; exceptions to this on a case-by-case basis
- Expected to enroll in Honors-only cohort classes for the first two (2) semesters of the scholarship (1st year)
Presidents' Scholarship Requirements
Presidents' scholars must meet and maintain the following requirements for the program:
- Attend all Honors orientations and meetings
- MCCCD cumulative GPA of 3.25 each semester in the program
- Enroll in minimum of 12 credits (100 level or higher, letter grade) for four (4) semesters
- Attend two (2) co-curriculars (one before week 8 and one after week 8), complete the required reflection for each event, and submit the reflections by the due date
- Complete one (1) Honors Project each semester in the program (in either a cohort, section or as an individual Honors project) for a total of four (4) projects
- Ensure that three (3) of the four required Honors Projects are in different prefixes: (see examples below)
NOTE: If you need to drop a class and add another one back into your schedule, please inform the Honors Office of these changes so we may update our records.
Example 1: A student completes Honors Projects in English 101 (ENG), Math 142 (MAT), History 103 (HIS) and Sociology 130 (SOC). The student has four (4) different prefixes: ENG, MAT, HIS, and SOC and has met the requirement.
Example 2: A student loves her literature and English classes and completes Honors Projects in English 101 (ENG), English 102 (ENG), English Humanities: Banned Books & Censorship (ENH), and English Humanities: Mythology. The student has only two (2) different prefixes: ENG and ENH and would need another class with a different prefix to meet the requirement.