FWS: Hire Process & Supervisor Responsibilities
Federal Work Study Supervisors interested in hiring a Federal Work Study (FWS) student, please follow the steps listed below:
- Create the position in HCM
- Post the position on the EMCC Jobs website.
- Screen and interview your qualified applicants.
- Email Office of Financial Aid (firstname.lastname@example.org) the FWS Eligibility Verification Request (FEVR) once you have determined which candidate(s) you would like to hire. The FWS Eligibility Verification Request (FEVR) is available as a download.
- Office of Financial Aid (OFA) will return FEVR to supervisor indicating if student is eligible to be hired as FWS.
- If the student is eligible, the supervisor directs the candidate to the district website to create a profile in the applicant system (or Sign In if already registered) and apply to the Part-Time Temporary Pool (the job location should be Districtwide). https://careers.maricopa.edu
- Hiring managers will need to submit a “Request To Hire” help desk ticket to initiate the hire process. The ticket requires the following data points: Supervisor Name, Candidate Name, Position Number, Start Date, and Pay Rate. Please note that any employee may not commence employment until all required documents have been processed.
- Once the eligible FWS student(s) you will be hiring have completed HR requirements and have an EMP ID number, add the EMP ID, Start Date and End Date to FEVR. Email FEVR back to OFA with remaining information.
- FWS Supervisors are responsible to select appropriate pay rate for FWS students. FWS employees can only work positions within the FWS salary range. Pay rate information can be found in the District HR website: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18JHGKeRalYWXOg-UPbqX9oW7hlQzqcmeABQ….
- Hiring manager request access to "Work Study Tracking page" (refer to document under "Downloads" forms for directions).
- Once hiring manager has access to “Workstudy Tracking page” they will be able to monitor FWS employee earnings (refer to Employee Learn Center for “View Award/Activity QRG).
Note: In the Employee Learn Center there are procedures to create a new position or modify to increase the headcount of an existing position and procedures to help students apply for the position in HCM. Pathway: Employee Lean Center > Resources > HCM Managers/HR
Federal Work Study Supervisor Responsibilities
- After the supervisor receives FEVR from FA with budget information, they are able to begin the hiring process with HR for eligible students. Students cannot begin working under FWS until Supervisor re-sends the completed FEVR with student’s employee ID, start/end dates. The student and Supervisor also must complete the FWS Contract. The FWS Contract is on the "Downloads" section of this page.
- FWS employees may work more than 20 hours per week if student has enough FWS eligibility.
- The FWS supervisor is responsible for monitoring student earnings to ensure the student does not earn more than his/her FWS eligibility allows. Supervisors can monitor earnings using the Workstudy Tracking page. If a student is overpaid, the hiring department will be required to cover the overage. FWS for the employee must be terminated in HCM when eligibility is exhausted.
- Supervisors are responsible to terminate FWS for the employee if the student is not enrolled in at least six credit hours at EMCC, is not meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress Standards, or is no longer eligible for any reason.
- Supervisors are responsible to ensure FWS employees are performing college/organization related work for all hours they are being paid. Students cannot be paid FWS funds for studying, doing homework, attending classes, or any other non-work activity.
- FWS may be allowed to work remotely based on work responsibilities as long as the FWS Supervisor provides necessary equipment, access, and ensures data governance policies are followed. Supervisors will also be required to ensure FWS remote work is supervised by assigning and evaluating the work completed by FWS. Note: some FWS positions cannot work remotely due to the requirements of their positions.
- Students and Staff no longer need to enter a time reporting code like it was done in the past. FWS employees will no longer have to select from multiple options when recording time. Instead, their time will all be ‘regular’ time and it is the Job Code associated with the position – not the Time Reporting Code – which now defines what specific type of work they are doing for FWS. The new Job Code structure also makes federal grant compliance reporting more specific and useful for grant managers. Please see "Job Code Info" document on the "Downloads" section for more information.
- Supervisors who fail to terminate an employee in HCM upon notification by our office that the student is no longer eligible, or by the established FWS end date(s), or do not follow FWS requirements may not be approved for future FWS funds.
- All work/office space should be professional, clean, organized and must follow state and federal safety parameters such as OSHA, etc.
- If there are questions, email the EMCC Office of Financial Aid at email@example.com